Swim Lesson Participant Information
Important! Please read carefully before registering!
The Oshkosh Recreation Department Swimming Lessons are held at Oshkosh North High School and Oshkosh West High School.
SAFETY is key to a successful swimming experience. Many safety topics will be incorporated throughout all levels.
- Participants may initially enroll in a maximum of one class per season. Participants may not register for two classes in the same session.
- If you are unsure what level to register your child for, please call the ORD office at (920)424-0150 and we will try to assist you. If you have taken lessons elsewhere, please provide us with that information on your registration form under the swim lesson notes section so we may properly process your form.
- If you are going to miss the first scheduled day of class, you MUST notify the ORD Office , (920) 424-0150, prior to the first day of class or you will automatically be DROPPED from the class and replaced with someone from the waitlist.
- Registrations are NOT accepted at the pool site.
- Participants wishing to enroll in an additional class must wait until completion of the original class.
- Registration will take place ONLINE ONLY on the followin dates/times:
- 6/17/22 beginning at 12:01 AM
- 7/1/22 beginning at 12:01 AM
- 7/15/22 beginning at 12:01 AM
- Your online regristration must be time stamped on these dates or after. If they are time staped earlier, your registration will be rejected and you will be notified via email.
- If you have any questions or concerns, please speak with the Head Instructor at your lesson site or call the ORD at (920)424-0150.
If you have any questions or concerns, please speak with the Head Instructor at your lesson site or call the ORD at (920) 424-0150.
NOTE: Pool temperature and maintenance is regulated by the high school maintenance staff, not the Oshkosh Recreation Department. The water temperature is maintained as best as possible between 78-80℉, which is within state health code standards. Please keep this in mind when attending our classes.
ORD Swim Lesson Levels
Age: 3 year minimum
This class is for the child who has never taken lessons before, is afraid of the water, cannot put his/her face in the water, or hold their breath and needs parental assistance. Beginner swimming skills are introduced. An adult must attend and participate in this class with the child.
Pre-School 3 & 4
Ages: 3 - 4 only
Continuing ORD Student-passing of Parent/Child and 3 or 4 years of age or former 3 & 4 Beginner
For the child who has not had formal swim lessons but would be comfortable in the water without parent assistance. Skills learned will include kicking, floating, submersion and more.
Beginner 1 - Intro to Basics
Required: 5 years of age minimum
Continuing ORD student: passing of Pre-School 3 & 4 or formerly 3 & 4 year old Advanced (no matter age)
This class is for the child who enjoys submersion, is comfortable on their back in the water and actively uses their arms and legs to move in the water. All basic skills for swimming on front and back are taught.
Beginner 2 - Swimming Fundamentals
Required: passing of Beginner 1 or former Level I
All basic skills for swimming on front and back are taught. Students will work on completing skills independently.
Class size is limited. Maximum 6 for Levels PC, 1 - 6.
Required: Passing of Beginner 2 (formerly Level II)
Students will work in deep water, begin diving, perform the front and back crawl strokes, and is ready to learn the elementary back stroke.
Class size is limited. Maximum 6 for Levels PC, 1 - 6
Click here to register for the 2021 Summer Session. Registration opens May 3 at 8AM (May 17 for Non-Residents)
Required: Passing of Advanced 3 (formerly Level III or Level IV A)
This level works to strengthen all strokes. Breaststroke, sidestroke, butterfly and turning are introduced. Begin endurance work.
Swimmer 5 - Stroke Refinement
Required: Passing of Advanced 4 (or former Level IV-B)
This level continues to strengthen all strokes and refine proper techniques.
Swimmer 6 - Fitness and Safety
Required: Passing of Swimmer 5 (or former Level V or Level VI A)
This level works to perfect all strokes, turns and dives. Four types of turns are taught.
Ages 10 - 14
For the child who needs to work on beginner skills (Beginner 1 or 2) and is not comfortable being with the younger children. Students will be taught at their level and progressed accordingly.